Monday, March 03, 2008

Ayu the Return.


I was right. My village turned into the largest swimming pool in Ipoh with not only people had to swim around, but also vehicles and furniture on the night I read the newspaper (pls refer entry on 25th Feb). Thank God, my family was fortunate enough because our house didn’t flood cause we never took swimming lessons. My mom can, though. Me too, but I’m a dreadful swimmer. People who can swim but cannot float, cannot be considered as people who know how to swim when they can just swim but cannot float. Right?

Anyway, that weekend my bro went home. Man, he’s a PC expert, I’m telling you. I think computers talk to him. Via binary code or what code, I don’t know. My PC is his regular patient, and my bro is my PC’s favourite surgeon. My computer always suffered mysterious diseases, I had asked a lot of people to fix it but it only chose my bro. Like you know, Harry Potter? The wand chooses the wizard? Nevermind that.

I did not dare to touch my computer after it’s blown up, and I left it for my bro to jinx or cast any spells that might have worked. And when you were dead sure your monitor exploded right in front of your eyes but when your bro turned it on, it functioned as per normal, what would be the first thing pop up into your mind? I had this painstaking calculation in my brain on how much I would have to spend for a new LCD monitor as well as at least something that costs hundreds inside that freaking CPU, say motherboard or hard disk, yet I just blew up my power supply box which costs around RM30. And hit me hard on this, my bro kept an unused power supply in his bedroom thus I did not have to take out a single penny out of my pocket.

I’m truly blessed, that is. Once my PC had this undefined problem my friends had tried to figure out but failed. They were confident it was either my hard disk or my motherboard (of course, we always pick the most expensive ones), and when my bro checked it for me, everything went fine. It went fine by itself. Yes.

By the way, I know some of my friends are wondering what the hell I’m up to, or at least what is my current update. I know I’ve been very quiet lately and kind of missing in action. Forgive me for that. I didn’t mean to hide from anybody, don’t get me wrong. So here I am, bringing you my latest updates. No more brain-talking stories.

Somewhere around February, I had this one interview I had been waiting for. It was for the position I desired the most, and I thank God they called me. I was nervous at first, thinking I might screw it up so I kept telling myself I would give my best shot. And the interview turned out to be the longest interview I had ever attended, one and a half hours. It was not a written or programming test, it was allll talking. For nearly two hours, I talked non-stop and I could feel how dehydrated I was. The questions, man, it started pretty well, they tested my IT knowledge and skills. And then, they started to ask me, why I didn’t want to be a police officer like my father, what my e-mail’s signature means – The world is a dangerous place not because people who do evil, but people who look on and do nothing, it’s a quote by Albert Einstein I clearly stated there. I was choked for a moment because I could not recall the whole sentence and they were smart enough not to read out for me. Besides that, there were a lot of irrelevant questions I did not want to remember.

I was like, somebody, hand me a staple gun.

Yet my smile didn’t fade away, my tone of voice was as good as ever, but my brain almost blasted into pieces. What a torture. Sometimes they even laughed hearing their own questions. They were so interested with the previous company I worked for, they asked questions like they wanted to apply a new job there. It was exhausting. I didn’t really know what I answered in the end of it and I started talking rubbish. Yet I did not take even a slight glimpse at my watch. It’s not a good body language, I kept that in mind all the time.

Finally, they asked me whether I had questions to ask and so I asked only one question. I almost said no as I was so thirsty, but I thought I should show some interest, right? Then, I was glad it was finally over. As soon as I got into my father’s car, I said, “I need to drink.”

I was saying to myself, I better get this job because of that excruciating interview. But as time passed by, I received no news. One hell of a month, I waited. I got several more interviews after that but I didn’t know why I was confident enough to decline all of them. It was risky, I know. And stupid too.

I’m not a risk-taker, frankly speaking. But sometimes I just follow my instincts. So that was what I did. It was worth it, anyway. Finally they called me and I got the job.

The HR officer asked me when I can start working, I said I would prefer after the election day. She was surprised at first, she thought I’m involved with this campaign thing. Hell no. So I told her I have to go back to Ipoh for voting. Then only she remembered I’m from Ipoh. Funny. So, I’ll start working on 17th March.

When it comes to election, I know most of my friends around my age are not interested to vote. I have to say I’m pretty excited because it will be my first time to go voting. I’d love to see how it goes. Some of you might laugh when your friends tell you they want to vote. Seriously, you don’t have to like politics in order to vote. And listen, we are part of the community, so it is part of our responsibilities. You dare say you’re Malaysian, right? So act like one.

So I guess that’s all for now. I’m sleepy, my eyes are half-closed and my mind is not in a proper state. Eventhough I am currently jobless, I barely have enough sleeps. I usually sleep at 4 or 5 am, and I have to force myself to hit the sack. I don’t take forty winks on the afternoon because I will get awful headache as soon as I get up.

But I don’t think I’m suffering from insomnia, if that’s what you’re thinking. So friends at Cyberjaya, see you soon, InsyaAllah.

No comments: