Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cold like fire.

Surprisingly, I’m spending my whole weekend at home!

Thus I have no excuse to leave my blog not updated.

Oh well, my mom insisted me to stay home as much as possible as she’s very worried with the killing virus that’s spreading on the entire world right now. Besides those rare as well as common diseases I have, I’m a pretty serious asthmatic so yeah, it won’t be such a good idea to be exposing myself to all sorts of risks by now. People are dying out there seriously!

I visited MOH H1N1 website quite regularly to keep track with the incessant numbers of death and infected Malaysians and I just couldn’t stop feeling sorry day by day.

I’m sorry to say this out loud but sometimes I do feel like something is wrong with you guys who keep going out, loitering and wasting your time and money when actually you can stay at home and be safe.

I do understand to some extent you can’t really control all these direct interactions as we live in a large community. We go to work and we meet our colleagues. We spend our lunch time together and we mix with the crowd who are obviously strangers and we have no idea what they are carrying inside their bodies. And when you’re one of those the unfortunates, you get the virus.

We can’t control it anymore, can we? It’s outrageous!

But still we should really keep our activities to minimal. There are things we can really avoid from doing if we think very carefully. I’ve to sacrifice my needs to go swimming for weeks now and it’s really killing me. I feel so unhealthy, weak and heavy. I went to the gym instead thinking that less people would be there but I was wrong so I stopped. I badly wanted to go to play badminton yet my racket left hang over the wall.

Thus, I had to find solutions to keep me sweating. I’ve a full tub of lard to burn! So yea, this might sound silly but I downloaded some aerobic videos on the Net so I could work out at home. LOL. Trust me, it’s not really working. Hahaha. Blame me on that. So, I did house cores instead. Sweating like a pig.

Recently I went for First Aid training being held in Prudential main office in KL. Actually this whole thing started when there was an email circulated by HR searching for volunteers to be First Aiders. It was when I just transferred to a new project. I was kind of bored at that time as they hadn’t assigned me many tasks yet so after giving it a thought for a few hours, I replied the mail saying that I’d love to volunteer.

To be frank, it first caught my attention because this is not some silly training. It provides a certificate to those who join the training so of course it’s certainly something I would consider.

When they finally revealed when and where the training will be conducted, my hands were already full of tasks. Thank God my lead was okay with it, without asking questions she let me go. I was expecting an answer something sounded like, "You better finish it off first before you go or it’s a no."

The training was conducted for two days. Being a super duper lazy girl, I asked for a cab to get me there on my first day of training since the transportation expenses are claimable with no limitation.

The first day was so good I couldn’t wait for the next day eventhough we had to sit for a written paper and practical. Not that hard though. It was so much fun. I met new friends who work in Claims, New Business and Underwriting departments. They shared lots of information and it was pretty exciting.

On my second day of training, I decided to drive on my own. I had this feeling the training will be finished much earlier. Damn I was right. By 3.45pm, we completed the course.

We learned to do CPR this time. We had to try to do it one by one, so we were gathering in a circle with Little Anne (the CPR doll) in the middle. So by coincidence I was standing right in front of the doll. When you want to do CPR there are steps to be taken first and one of them is to point out someone to call the ambulance. And each and everyone of them couldn’t help but pointing at me, "Lady in the green shirt, can you call the ambulance?"

I was like, "Sure. I know what to do already before you even say it."

Then I felt that’s it, I went fifth and I came walking in the middle, "Here comes the lady in the green shirt to do CPR."

They laughed then okay being a puppet is not that hard especially when your look is naturally silly. Of course there were a few self-embarrassing moments but we shall skip that part.

So when it was my turn to point out someone, I just called one of my friends by name. And later on, everyone followed my way. Hah!

The training was conducted in a pantry actually. The pantry cum training room. It was designed that way, it is so spacious you could probably turn it into a dancing classroom (Oh pardon me, this SYTYCD thing still stuck in my head). So on that particular day, we saw people coming in and out wearing masks.

I did not notice at all at first until my groupmate asked, "Why I see everyone coming in wearing mask? Is there something going on that we don’t know? Look even the cleaners are wearing!" My other two friends agreed, "Is someone affected by H1N1?" I said nothing, gulping in silent.

So yeah during lunch hour she left the room and went to her office floor and came back sweating. Hahah. She was so eager to find out what’s wrong. The HQ has been infected. Then there were some people going there quite regularly so there’s a possibility someone might bring the virus along. Moreover, someone from another company which is in the same building with us has been confirmed affected.

Her boss came out with this desperate decision to divide their department into two teams. Team A is not allowed to have any kind of direct communication with Team B. So if one of Team A members is affected, they can quarantine Team A whereas Team B can continue working.

With a glance, you might say it’s quite a good idea.

It’s not.

They’re using the same lifts, they go to the same cafes during lunch hours, they share the same toilets, and they probably go to work together and meet each other after work to hang out or whatsoever. What are you thinking??

So anyway, I am now a certified first aider! Valid for three years only. Hahaha. After that, we’ve to go for a Refresher. And yeah during the three years period, we’ve to meet up for a gathering to refresh back all the stuffs.

One thing I can never forget is the reef knot. It’s a bit confusing at first but since the course I can’t help doing reef knot whenever I’m tying something up. Haha.

Ok wow freaking hell what a long entry. Till then peeps!


No comments: